1 out of 4 of us live with a mental illness and every 40 seconds someone commits suicide in the world
Do you know anyone with any of these conditions?
What is the most common mental health disorder? Anxiety Disorders
What are some types of anxiety disorders?
· Generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, OCD, phobias, PTSD, and eating disorders
Symptoms of a Generalized Anxiety Disorder:
· Excessive worry for months
· Restless or “wound-up”
· Easily fatigued
· Difficulty concentrating
· Difficulty sleeping (including going to sleep, staying asleep, or restless sleep)
· Difficulty controlling your worry
· Tense muscles
What differentiates “normal” stress from an anxiety disorder?
We might all feel nervous before an exam, an interview, or a big decision, but in someone who has an anxiety disorder, this feeling is more than just temporary. They cannot shake the feeling away, and this can worsen over time, ultimately interfering with functioning in daily activities, relationships, school, and work.
Know that you are NOT ALONE if you experience these symptoms. Celebrities such as Emma Stone, Elton John, and Amanda Seyfried have also been diagnosed with anxiety disorders.
To help screen for stress, take this quick questionnaire! http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/stress-screener
If you think a friend or a loved one is suffering from anxiety disorder or any mental health disorders, there is help available.
· Psychotherapy: also called “talk therapy” can include Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), which helps teach a person different ways of thinking, behaving, and reacting to situation that produce anxiety or fear
· Medications: can relieve symptoms but cannot cure the anxiety disorder. Please reach out to your primary care doctor or a psychiatrist for more information
· Support groups and stress-management techniques are often helpful
Click here for recovery stories of inspiration! https://bbrfoundation.org/stories-of-recovery
Drexel University College of Medicine